home

Friday, 30 January 2015

And here it is

Because everyone was saying how easy and quick
the Tilly and the Buttons Coco dress is to
make, then obviously I assumed I'd be the one
who couldn't quite manage it.
Nothing could have been further from the truth.
It was cut out late one afternoon before
preparing dinner then sewn up today in a couple
of hours.
 
 
To be honest, I probably did more practice sewing
than I would normally, but then stretch knits are
just a little bit scary aren't they?  Not any more it seems.
There are so many tips everywhere and it really is
just a case of seeing how your machine sews when
faced with that stretchy fabric!
So, there was a Jersey needle, a twin needle, triple stretch stitch
and my machine's own stretch fabric stitch.
Some things were great and others not so much.
But all of it was great practice. I think there could very well
be a few of these hanging in the wardrobe
over the next few weeks.

 
The eagle-eyed of you will have realised that the neck
looks nothing like the original pattern.
What can I say?  Some of us have narrow shoulders
and wide hips so rather trying to alter the pattern
in any way during construction or cutting out, I
opted to add a small pleat/tuck at the neckline, both
front and back.
 
And do you know what? It works!
 
P x
 


4 comments:

  1. You are so clever, it's lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you Aline! Can't believe I've waited so long to get going with stretch fabrics xx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Annie - am hoping the next one comes out just as well as it's going to be slightly longer xx

      Delete