home

Saturday, 23 July 2016

Cherry ice cream

A couple of months ago (where does it go? and so quickly?)
I spent a gorgeous week in Riva, on the northern shore of Lake Garda. It was so relaxing and even though we did a little of the expected stuff - ferries around the lake, meals out etc, it was the unexpected which appealed more and stayed with me.
Riding a local bus to another town - I thought the concierge was going to collapse in a heap at the thought of it - finding a lovely, tiny coffee shop at the back of a wonderful bookshop, and cherry ice cream.

Not being a real aficionado of ice cream, when first choosing I'll admit to being led by the visuals.  It just looked so darned pretty with its ribbons of cherry sauce through the white cream.
Cherry it was.
With all of this warm weather - which is also so very airless at the same time, not like the Italian Lakes at all! - it was time to look for some to cool off with  at home.
Do you know how difficult it is to find it locally? Well, it is here, so hello to google and searching for homemade cherry sauce for ice cream.
The result:


When it had cooled I added it to some creamy vanilla which had been left to soften for a little.
Of course it's nowhere near as nice as the original, but hey, not too bad either.

As for the rest of life?  Well, I couldn't be getting so many things wrong if I tried.
Home is fine, family is fine but friends? The wrong thing is continually coming out of my mouth no matter how hard I try to say the right thing.  Luckily (especially for them) I'll be going away for a couple of days. Give everyone a break.

P xx




10 comments:

  1. You can't be perfect all the time! x Cherry ice cream sounds wonderfyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True!! It probably just means I need to be somewhere else for a while. Distance can be a good thing sometimes. The cherry sauce was a big hit - someone even added extra to their bowl xx

      Delete
  2. Wonderful, is the correct spelling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ach, quite like the new spelling Aline xx

      Delete
  3. Mmm... cherry ice cream sounds delicious!

    I'm a one for putting my foot in it and saying things I regret later; seems to happen even when I try so very hard not to. Just a part of life maybe? Don't beat yourself up about it, we're only human :) Enjoy your break. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's that feeling afterwards...when you realise what you've said. Ah well, I'll try harder next time. Though as you say, sometimes it's worse when I try harder! And thank you, a few days in Amsterdam will go very nicely I think xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cherry ice cream sound wonderful, I must admit I'm not really a desert person but I adore ice cream!!
    Do you know Pam, I'm the sort of person thats says what she thinks and if it doesn't suit the person I've said it to...well tough, don't worry, sometimes people are far too sensitive for their own good. Go and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having thought it all through properly, I realise it's less to do with me and more what's happening in their lives. Fun here we come! Xx

      Delete
  6. oh that cherry sauce looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is tasty, though next time I'd use less sugar! Xx

      Delete