home

Monday, 11 July 2016

Making a toile

As the colours for the doll's stockings, blouse etc are working out well, it seemed a good time to start on the skirt. Ordinarily when making doll's clothes it's very much a case of cut, sew, cut a bit more, sew a bit more until there's some approximation of fit! But here?  With this one? Oh no.  Nothing less than a toile made up in scrap fabric. With French Seams. 




What got into me I'm not so sure, but it was liberating - no worries if it didn't look right, or the length was off or any of a dozen ways it could normally go wrong!  And the result? Meh, it's ok.  Just ok.  The waistband could be a lot better and it definitely needs to be fuller . But that's fine.  It just means I get to play around with it tomorrow too.  Which brings me to this little poster from Flow magazine which sits above the sewing desk. I'm learning to do this all over again and it feels pretty good.



P xx



6 comments:

  1. oh I do love a french seam, all my bunny skirts have french seams! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such an easy way to make seams very secure and neat! I love them too xx

      Delete
  2. She is going to be delightful Pam 😊 Sounds like you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am! Nowhere near your level of expertise, but enjoying it xxx

      Delete
  3. Your doll is coming along so well, I do like that fabric you have chosen for her skirt.

    Funny you should mention 'Flow' magazine. I'd never even heard of it until the day before yesterday when I thought I'd treat myself and choose something to read on my trip to the coast. It is lovely. Very inspiring. I will definitely be buying it again. I bought 'Womankind' magazine for the first time too. It is wonderful - earthy and soulful writing from a female perspective. Magazines have improved a lot since I last bought them a couple of years ago! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim! I've enjoyed Flow for a couple of years, though I don't get every one. But I've not seen Womankind so will definitely have a look for that. Though have I mentioned living in the sticks......xx

      Delete