home

Wednesday, 24 August 2016

Today is not a good day. So far.

The sun is shining, there are no horrible jobs to do and I have the house to myself this morning.  I know, I know. Sometimes it just washes over you, but at least I also know the little tricks to turn the day around.  First off, Go Outside.  Now! Now there are nice little places to sit, both in shade and in the sun; there is a pretty tablecloth on the big table and instantly I feel better. It's probably the fresh air that does it for me. Once out there I see things I'd like to record, because as we all know, it's the detail that often counts for more than the whole.  The camera came out with me and tried a trick I'd seen elsewhere, using a sheet of white paper behind the flower. 


The blooms definitely show up more.


It's a really good tip when you want to be able to sketch something later - creates a great outline.


But I do like seeing the context too.


Along with the sun shining through.


So now the day isn't actually that bad, and I feel as though I want to get on with stuff.
Let's go!

P xx

10 comments:

  1. Well that just hit the spot Pam! I'm going outside, just to walk to the Library in the sunshine, instead of taking the car as I normally do. Hope the day gets better x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy the sun Aline x And my day just got better and better - put no pressure on myself to be 'happy', just pottered and mooched and was a little bit kind to myself. Now getting ready to go out for coffee and cake. Not too shabby a day after all xx

      Delete
  2. That's a great tip with the white paper behind what you are photographing Pam! I will try it for the outline definition it gives and use when sketching them later too. I hope you enjoy your day outside! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's brilliant isn't it Simone?! I'll try to find the site I found it on, though as we all know, that's easier said than done....My day turned out well and I hope yours has too. Thank you so much for stopping by xx

      Delete
  3. Love the white paper image Pam, that is a good tip!
    Being outside is definitely a good tonic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I forget about it being such a tonic and I need a little push to remind myself! Xx

      Delete
  4. I'm glad your day has improved! It's amazing how much better you can feel just from stepping outside for a few minutes. I've been deadheading hundreds of ox-eye daisies this morning and the cool air was so refreshing after the past few sweltering days. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Not saying it's the answer to every problem, but it harms to try it. We've got cooler air too and I'm loving that as much as the heat and sun of yesterday. Dead heading. Another garden task I'm not quite up to speed with this year.......xxx

      Delete
  5. A piece of white paper, held behind a flower, to photograph it.

    Never thought of that. Thank you.

    Gentle hugs,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works well doesn't it Luna? I was going to capture a few more to try and sketch them for embroidery in the winter, but the cloud and rain decided no. Not today. And who am I to argue? But the next sunny day for sure xx

      Delete